A Guide To Greek Moussaka
Surprise your family with this tasty Greek Moussaka
Today we’re preparing a true Greek Moussaka just like a Greek chef would do it! The first time I tasted this dish, we were in Greece on a journey to discover new flavours from the Mediterranean. After the first bite, I knew this will be a hit. We serve it at Continental Restaurant, both on the set menu and the popular Dine Out To Go menu. Our friends just love picking up an already prepared Moussaka, pop it in the oven and serve it for dinner! Or you can do it yourself by following my instructions below.
4-5 Aubergines (eggplants)
1/2kg minced meat (can be beef or lamb)
2-3 ripe tomatoes
1teacup olive oil
1 bay leaf
2 onions finely chopped
1 garlic clove
½ teacup grated parmesan cheese
3 teacups béchamel sauce
1. Heat the cup of oil in a pot and sauté the chopped onions in it.
2. Add the minced meat and continue to sauté for another 10minutes.
3. Next, add the tomatoes, garlic, bay leaf and the salt and pepper and allow the mixture to boil for approximately one hour.
4. In the meantime, wash the aubergines and trim off the stems. Then cut them in round slices and let them soak in salted water for about an hour (to remove bitter juices). Drain the aubergine slices, coat them with flour and fry them in very hot oil.
5. In a bowl (oven proof), place a layer of aubergine slices, salt and pepper and a layer of the minced meat mixture.
6. Add another layer of aubergines and minced mixture.
7. Finally, pour the béchamel sauce over the last layer.
8. Sprinkle with the grated cheese and bake on a high temperature for approximately 20-25 minutes.
Serve hot. Enjoy.
This dish can be prepared in advance until the point before it goes in the oven. Allow an extra 15 minutes in the oven if cooking from cold.
GET OUR recipes
Just add your name and email below and we will send you our new recipes and tasty treats. So you’ll never miss out!
CONTINENTAL RESTAURANT & DELI